Website KidsAbility Centre for Child Development
Communicative Disorders Assistant
School Based Rehabilitation Services
Assigned Site: Multiple Sites
Full-time Equivalency: Up to 1.0 FTE
Employment type: Contract
Commencing: February 12, 2024 – June 30, 2024
OPSEU 258 salary range for Communicative Disorders Assistants is $25.27 – $28.12 per hour.
Who we are:
Our mission at KidsAbility is to empower children and youth to realize their full potential. We are a not-for-profit, equal opportunity employer supporting over 17,000 children and youth to reach their communication, social, physical, and behavioural goals each year. From birth to age 21, we are here to help navigate the journey of childhood through to adulthood, providing early and exceptional family-centered services. With over 65 years of proven and dedicated community outreach within the Waterloo and Guelph Wellington Regions, we continue to lead with purpose to ensure the needs of our community are met. We will continue to strive to build a strong, inclusive tomorrow as we learn from our past, respond to our present, and anticipate our future. We believe that by living our values, our impact can be profound, and together, we can build brighter futures.
Why join us:
- Continuing learning, skills development, and training program opportunities
- Mentorship opportunities for new graduates
- Experienced, personable, and accessible management for ongoing support and mentorship
- A supportive and caring work environment with a strong focus on client service and supporting staff to meet our mission critical work
- Opportunities for multi- and trans-disciplinary collaboration
- Mileage reimbursement when traveling between schools to conduct visits
- Wellness initiatives, social events, and opportunities to give back to your community
- Access to Employee and Family Assistance Program
- Comprehensive benefits and optional group RRSP program
- Short- and long-term disability income protection benefits
- Generous vacation package, paid personal leave days, and closure and discretionary days
What you will do:
The goal of School Based Rehabilitation Services (SBRS) Communicative Disorders Assistant (CDA), under the direction of a Speech-Language Pathologist, will:
- Enhance the communications skills of clients in partnership with their families, publicly funded schools, and their community
- Continually work towards prevention, education, consultation, early identification, and management of communication disorders and contributing to the development of continuous quality improvement activities
- Provide therapy to school aged children who are eligible to receive school-based rehabilitation services in the areas of articulation, motor speech, stuttering and voice
- Document in KidsAbility’s shared electronic record
- Provide virtual workshops to parents and caregivers in the areas of articulation, motor speech, and stuttering
- Support activities of the interdisciplinary team to co-ordinate services to clients and families
- Services are primarily provided within schools throughout Waterloo Wellington Region during the school year, however, service is also provided within a clinic setting or provided to the family virtually during the summer months
- Primary need is currently within the Guelph region, however, travel anywhere within the Kitchener-Waterloo and Guelph Wellington Regions may be required
How you will make an impact:
- Working towards our goal of providing the right support to the right child at the right time
- Exchange information and ideas in a manner that fosters understanding and positive relationships with clients, families, co-workers, and the community
- Contribute to the development and continuous quality improvement of the Centre, the community, and the profession by participating in projects and groups
- Maintain awareness of relevant community resources and factors that impact speech and language development and educate, consult, and counsel individuals, families and other agencies or professionals to encourage early identification and intervention to promote appropriate speech and language development
What we’re looking for:
- Experience with children who have a variety of developmental, physical, and communicative disorders
- Experience with intervention of articulation and fluency disorders in school age children an asset
- Proficient in MS Office, possess strong computer and data entry skills
- Knowledge of Goldcare, AlayaCare or other electronic charting software is an asset
- Proven ability and willingness to work as an integral member of a team
- Ability to work independently with little direction, self-motivated and demonstrate initiative
- Standard First Aid and CPR are an asset
- Bilingual in French and English is an asset
What you need:
- Communicative Disorders Assistant Diploma
- Member of the Communicative Disorders Assistant Association of Canada (CDAAC)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong time management skills
- Demonstrated consultation and problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizing, coordinating, and managing the program demands in a fast-paced environment.
- High levels of attention to detail and confidentiality
- Travel is required for this role; you must have access to a reliable vehicle with public liability/property damage coverage (minimum of $1 million)
Join KidsAbility and help make a difference in the lives of children and youth while achieving personal and professional growth.
We invite applications from those interested in this position to submit a letter of interest and resume to Human Resources by emailing email@example.com by end of day February 8, 2024.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion are the core values at KidsAbility. We are a diverse workforce with wide perspectives and creative ideas that benefit our clients and the community. It is the policy of KidsAbility to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment. We welcome applications from visible minority groups, women, Aboriginal people, persons with disabilities, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital or domestic/civil partnership status, genetic information or any other ground protected by applicable law.
KidsAbility strives to create an accessible and inclusive application and selection process and is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to job applicants who may require provisions to participate in the selection process. Should any applicant require accommodations please contact Human Resources in advance for assistance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that all prospective KidsAbility employees are subject to mandatory immunization requirements, including the full and ongoing COVID-19 vaccination, as a condition of obtaining and maintaining employment. We will make accommodations as directed by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services and the Chief Medical Officer of Health.
To learn more about us, visit: https://www.kidsability.ca
To stay up-to-date, follow us on social media:
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.